Belle of Louisville

The Belle of Louisville

The steamboat that Louisvillians know as the Belle of Louisville wasn't always the delightful excursion boat that we associate with today. Before she became the Belle this historic steamboat had other uses and other names. It has a long history, going back to construction in 1914, when it was named the Idelwild. In 1948, the name was changed to the Avalon, upon the untimely death of Captain Winters who made that request upon his deathbed. In 1963, the name was changed to the Belle of Louisville. Today, there are those who wonder if Captain Winters ever left the steamboat. They wonder if he haunts the Belle of Louisville, thinking it is still his beloved Avalon. The Belle of Louisville disclaims all reports of paranormal activity, but those of us who have had experiences believe otherwise. We like going back to see who or what might join us on another visit to The Belle.